Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Waxing Philosphical

Yesterday was my last day of law school classes. I really didn't think it would be a big deal, most days like this come and go and are pretty anti-climactic. For some reason, yesterday seemed monumental.

I've invested three years and six figures into this experience and thought I'd make a list of what I've take away from it:

1. Surrounding yourself with true friends makes all the difference. I've had great friends in law school, we've been able to enjoy each others successes and commiserate over bad grades, job searches and finals. Those guys have helped me get through these three years, so hats off to them!

2. The super-competitive types can really get you down. There are lots of people who like to let you know that they have better grades than you, a better job than you, etc., etc. Life's too short to try to keep up with these people. They're not very happy anyways.

3. Success is how you define it. I've learned that you will be a lot happier if you define your own version of success and take the path you want. I was least happy when I was trying to achieve what other people had defined as success and happiest when I did it my way.

4. Lawering is a skill not an identity. So much of law school is trying to "make you think like a lawyer." I've learned to think like a lawyer and can do good work but I don't try to be a lawyer all the time.

5. Gifted teachers are a rare breed. I've enjoyed having a handful of teachers who have been able to explain difficult concepts clearly.

In short, I've learned more about life than the law. But, I've also learned the basics of being a lawyer, which I guess is why you go to law school in the first place. I've learned a lot about myself and been able to live in Washington, DC for three years. All in all, I'm glad I did it and feel like the experience has been worthwhile.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Congrats, Zach! That's huge. Sadly, now real life begins and it turns out law school was pretty sweet (at least on the wife side of things). And I hope you stay true to #4. I know Greg tries to keep "lawyering" at work, but every once in a while I see it try to slip out.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making it through! Three years have gone by fast. Look how much has changed in the last 3 years, though. You went out there as a newlywed, and now you have a 1 year old son!!!

Nick Scott Family said...

I LOVE your #3 quote...I think it is so true. There are so many people out there and we seem to measure our success against others when in reality we need to define our own success!! We've caught ourselves so many times wondering what in the world we are doing in our 30s while others in the same boat have huge homes, lots of money, and seem to be making it in life ... when in reality we are sooo happy with what we have ... just may not be as rich as others :) hehehe but seriously what matters is our OWN success!!!!

alexandra said...

Congrats! I enjoyed your pearls of wisdom. I think you are right. It is good to remind oneself of such things. I know that even though I was so amazing in law school and just an incredible lawyer, I was really not that happy. haha

You dont really learn the law in law school. You learn it studying for the bar. I was so annoyed when I realized that. Law school has got to be the most indirect path to learning ever.

Erin & Mike Featherstone said...

Congrats, dude. Good luck with the j-o-b back in SLC. We'll hang out next time we're out there.

--Mike, Erin, and The Boy

Cassidy said...

Congrats Zach. You are very wise.

Mike said...

Especially helpful to a current law school nerd... I totally agree with you. Thanks for the wise words!!

Alexis Poelman said...

Congrats, Zach. It sounds like you did learn a lot about life. I love what you have to say, it's all so true so true! Thanks for putting it out there.

Jason said...

Zach, Congratulations! We miss you guys! We'll be in SLC for a couple weeks at the end of June. If you're in town, we'd love to see you.