Wednesday, December 2, 2009

O Tannenbaum

For years my family has gone into the Uinta mountains to cut down a Christmas tree (through the generosity of a friend with acres of land up there). Now that we're back in Utah, Zach was a little hesitant to join in the tradition. Why wouldn't anyone want to drive for over an hour, hike up a mountain in the snow, then drag a large pine tree back to the car? Doesn't it sound so romantic and old fashioned? We ended up driving in a huge snow storm, the truck got stuck on a snowy mountain road, and Henry cried from the time I started trying to put his snow clothes on to when we were half way home. Luckily my sister-in-law's family brought up hot delicious chili and breadsticks, and we brought soft molasses cookies. My sister captured what turned out to be a fabulous Christmas card picture.



I was determined to not hike around the entire mountain as I had with my mom in previous years. Sadly I misjudged the size of the tree, and brought home a rather small tree. After we got it all decorated I was quite proud of our small Charlie Brown tree. I wouldn't trade it for all the pre-lit trees at Home Depot!

1 comment:

Nick Scott Family said...

That looks like so much fun! We wanted to bad to go up and cut our own christmas tree down this year ... give us a call next year and we'll join you! What a fun tradition!!