Saturday, October 24, 2009
Epiphony
I'm not a gym person. I never have been, and it takes a lot of effort to get myself to the gym. And I guess you could also say I have body image issues. It's pretty rare, I know, to find a woman without body issues. So my motivation every time I go is to lose weight! When I get on my lose weight kick, every time I look in the mirror all I can see is a stomach far from flat, big arms & thighs, and skin, lots of skin hanging over my pants (I'm trying to avoid using the "f" word). It gets super depressing. I'm sure I'll read this post in 20 years wishing I had the body then that I have now, but that's beside the point. Also, when on my lose weight kick, I obsess over food. Compulsive might be a better word for it. And I hate it. Well today I was in a crowded yoga class where the instructor had the most soothing and calming voice. While trying to get into one of those twisted triangle positions I realized that I love my body. I love my body (a song that could be heard on Yo Gabba Gabba just started going through my head, "I love my body! I love my body"). Anyway- back to my epiphony. I love the way my body can move, and get me from place to place, and I can pick up my son and kiss him, and I can clean my house, and I can dance, and I can move my fingers all over a keyboard. My body can do amazing things and I love it for that. The rest of class, as I looked in the mirror, I didn't see big arms. I saw this amazing machine that does amazing things for me. And I was grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for the positive message. You're right, even our normal person bodies are amazing.
Great thoughts Alicia! It is good to send ourselves positive messages like that in hopes that we will believe them after the millionth time. You are beautiful! Had a great time at your place the other day. Always love your company.
You're so tiny Alicia! But I totally understand that each of us has our own issues...mine seem to be my thighs and butt....and with this pregnancy it's getting worse!
What a great message. Thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment