Sunday, October 4, 2009

My quick weekend project

When we were in a 1-bedroom apartment and Henry came along, we had to figure out where to have him sleep. We found the perfect solution in the Graco lite pack 'n' play. It was small enough that we could put him down for the night in the bedroom, then wheel it out into the living room when we went to bed. He always stayed asleep while we wheeled him out. It was great. It was so great we kept him sleeping there, even as he grew and grew. Once we moved to Salt Lake though, it was time to get him into a crib. I was so excited to paint the crib I slept in as a baby for Henry. It was going to be a snap. WRONG. Never, ever ever try to paint anything by hand with lots of little dowels. It takes forever! This bad boy took three coats, and three months- all the while Henry stayed in his little pack 'n' play.


The crib in its original form stored away in the famed studio storage at my parents'.
And....ta da! The final product. At 17 months old, Henry finally has a proper crib. He doesn't know what to do with all that room.


5 comments:

Laura & Tyson said...

The crib turned out soo cute! I'll bet you are relieved that you're done. I'm working on painting some chairs that have quite a few grooves etc so I just got some spray paint which should hopefully make it go quickly.

Nat said...

Nice job finishing. I usually start things like that and when it gets harder then I planned leave it in the garage for months on end. It looks great. It was really fun to see you guys this weekend thanks again.

Unknown said...

great work!

callie said...

i am immmmmmpressed. i redone a few pieces of furniture...and looking at all of those knooks and curves that you must have sanded and then painted...whew! that's a lot of work! and it looks perfect!

Erin & Mike Featherstone said...

Oh but it's so adorable! It was worth all the effort. I love the simple Jenny Lind crib. We've kept Andrew sleeping in his pack and play forever, so I understand completely.
You did a great job. So classy! But then I wouldn't expect any less from the Derrs.